Monday 26 February 2018

Back To Busyness

If you are a regular reader to this blog, you'll know that I'm a great fan of the Flylady system after first coming into contact with it on YouTube via Diane in Denmark and Sophia from My Great Challenge.

When I first discovered it last year, I was very enthusiastic and worked my way through the house over the space of a couple of months.  I loved the system and the way that each room's turn to be cleaned came around again every few weeks and thus never really got the opportunity to get really dirty.

Since starting paid work again three days per week, I have to admit that I've lapsed badly.  Occasionally, I might manage a Weekly Home Blessing (or part thereof), but I haven't really done much detailed cleaning or cleaned the house regularly on a weekly basis. After a few days at work, I've been way too exhausted to do any cleaning for a day or so.

Having had a holiday recently (albeit an exhausting one) and a break from work, I've found myself with a bit more energy to clean lately, and I'm trying hard to get back on track with my Flylady routines.  Luckily, I've still been doing my morning and evening routines for the most part, so the house isn't totally messed up, but it has definitely been feeling a bit dirty lately and in need of some attention.

Last week, I made a start by doing some cleaning in the kitchen.  Not a deep clean, but a part WHB, where I tackled the kitchen worktops, floor, sink area, table and also cleaned the downstairs toilet, vestibule, stairs and hallway. It was a start.

Today, I've continued where I left off  and done some more cleaning.  This morning, I cancelled my class at the gym, as I thought it was going to snow heavily, (it didn't, but never mind) and I didn't want to travel across town in the car. Instead, after walking the dog, I watched Diane and Sophia's daily videos to get me in the mood and then got stuck in.

There's something nice about staying indoors and working on getting your home in good shape when it's snowing and freezing cold outside. Perfect weather for cleaning, because the exertion also warms you up.

It took a couple of hours to dust and clean all the surfaces and hoover and mop the floors, mainly because I did quite a thorough job, moving some of the furniture and cleaning underneath. Again, it wasn't a deep clean, but it feels good to get the basics done.  To be honest, considering I haven't really cleaned these rooms since taking down the Christmas tree on Twelfth Night, they weren't too bad, which just goes to show how the system does work and even if you lapse for a couple of months, it isn't too difficult to get back on track.

I'm back at work tomorrow, but hopefully later in the week I'll have the energy to tackle the top floor of the house, namely the bedrooms and bathroom.  The bathroom in particular is desperate for a clean and I'll be very happy when I've finally done some work in there.

I'm looking forward to just getting back to doing my regular WHB each week and feel that this is enough to keep on top of the house on a weekly basis. Once I've got back on track with this, I might even be able to get involved in some deeper more detailed cleaning in the different zones each week.  I can't see me being as thorough as I was when I first started, but just doing something will make the house feel better and much more manageable.

4 comments:

  1. I don't want this to sound bad so please don't take it the wrong way because although I am not pleased of course that you are finding it difficult to find the time to clean now you are working this post actually made me feel better about the fact that I am in the same boat - I work 3 days only now but as I seem to fit 5 days work into the three I too am so exhausted on my first day off very little gets done until I 'come round' a bit. I thought it was just me that was rubbish at trying to fit everything in especially since I have gone from 4 days at work to 3 - but unfortunately my house is still at times in a state and needs a good going over!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry I'm not at all offended by your comment. It's just life and our homes get messy in the process of living.

      I too probably put more than my salaried hours into my job and feel exhausted when I get home.

      It would be great to just walk away from work not feeling this way, but the mental and physical nature of the job makes this difficult. I'm not complaining though, because I really enjoy it and am happy get paid for something that I enjoy doing.

      Delete
  2. I can hardly wait until I can clean decently once again. Right now all my house gets is a bit of cleaning very spaced out. Once my wrist is up to snuff, I will be getting down and dirty.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's easy to take for granted our physical ability to do the simple things in life such as cleaning. It must be really frustrating for you not be able to do your usual routine. Hopefully it won't be too long before you're back to normal.

      Delete