Friday 5 January 2018

Making Again

Yesterday afternoon, after bemoaning the fact to other bloggers that I hadn't done any work on any creative projects for a while or really done much at all with my time whilst on annual leave, I decided that there was no time like the present and headed up to my sewing room.

It's still full of Christmas stuff at the moment, namely the Christmas decoration boxes which are waiting to be refilled, once I get around to take down the decorations. In spite of this, I was still motivated to get on and start a project that I'd been meaning to do for at least 6 months, namely making some new cushion covers for the living room.

I have so much fabric and decided that after four years or so with the same cushion covers, it was time for a change.  I'd picked out some suitable fabrics and put them aside and I finally got them out and started work.

I didn't intend to finish the covers that day, but after completing a couple, I decided to just carry on and make the other two that I needed.  They're not perfect (far from it), but they will freshen up the living room as we move towards spring.  The print on the fabric is a tulip print, which seemed appropriate, and the colours are pretty. 



I made envelope style covers, as I didn't have any co-ordinating zips and didn't want to spend any money on the project or have to go out to get any. After having mismatched cushions in this room for years, they are all now co-ordinated which feels a lot more grown up.

Whilst I was at it, I also decided to make a new cover for the footstool, that would tie in with the new cushion covers, as it was previously covered in the same fabric as the old cushion covers.  I decided not to use the same cushion fabric this time, as it had a cream background that could get dirty easily and the footstool cover isn't removable, it's sewn on.



Instead, I used some of this dark navy print velvet fabric that I've had in my stash for years and which used to part of some old curtains that I purchased second hand.  I had heaps of it. It's nice and tactile and cosy for the winter months and shouldn't show up any dirt. (Fluff and dog hairs, but not dirt!) In addition, I won't necessarily have to make another one should I replace the cushion covers again.

I now just need to make a new runner to co-ordinate. A pretty productive and frugal afternoon, whereby I get a bit of a new look in the living room, without spending any money.  Result.

5 comments:

  1. The cushion covers look lovely. Well done

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice and the footstool cover coordinates with the navy in the pillow covers nicely.

    Make sure you show us the runner when you complete it.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fabrics tie in really well, the tulip fabric is really cheerful, good job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always get a real sense of accomplishment when I get to finish a project that has been hanging around for a while. The print is really cheerful and I like the velvet print it contrasts well. I have a few projects on my list - but I need to sort out the budget first.

    ReplyDelete