Monday 8 January 2018

Back to Basics

On Saturday, I finally took down the Christmas tree and decorations. I seem to be reluctant at both ends of Christmas, reluctant to put up the decorations and reluctant to take them down. I'm sure I'll get used to the bareness of the house within a few days, but I miss those twinkly lights, making the room feel cosy.  Maybe I should keep a set back to use all winter.

Luckily, it's LB's birthday next weekend, so a few cards about the place will fill up the room a bit more.

Anyway, the decorations are back into the three or four storage bags, one for wrap, one for wreaths, one for decorations and one for the tree.  I did manage to declutter a few more items whilst I was packing everything away, which is all good.

I was reading somewhere the other day how if you want to be eco friendly, you should stop using plastic trees. It really didn't make any sense to me. 

If you've already got a plastic tree, why throw it out and stop using it.  Surely it's more eco friendly to continue to use it and then you wouldn't need to ever buy another or a real one.  Besides, many Charity shops (like ours) don't actually accept Christmas trees in January, as they don't want to give room to them for a year, before anyone is likely to buy them. So, despite preferring a real tree, I'm going to keep our artificial one and continue to use it, whatever anyone says.

After reading a great post on Where the journey takes me about re-using Christmas cards, I cut up those cards that seemed to make good Christmas gift tags and put them with my wrapping paper ready for next year. Here's a couple of pictures of the ones I made. 




A bit of a mixture, but I'm sure they'll look great on gifts with a bit of added ribbon.

After a quick dust and hoover around, it's like Christmas never happened. Oh well, I'm sure it will come round again soon enough. Best get on with 2018 now.






7 comments:

  1. As much as I love our Christmas decorations, I love it once they are packed away. I don't see the room as bare but clean and tidy again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have put Christmas away with anything I don’t want to use again culled. I agree totally about the Christmas tree and as we bought a very small one two years ago, it will do us for many years to come. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so agree about the tree. Throwing out a perfectly good artificial tree is crazy and amounts to a waste. When our tree gets old and tattered I might consider buying a real tree once again.

    Christmas has been put away here as well, but having candles lit in the evenings as I sit and knit still give my front room a cozy feeling.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also agree about the tree and any other plastic item that has a long use - it is much better to stick with what you have bought than throw it out. It is the single use plastics that we should focus on - packaging, food / drink containers. Even food storage boxes such as Tuperware and Clicklock will be useful for a long time if you already have it. The time to consider changing to something more eco is when it is really ready for throwing away. Even then I reuse old plastic food storage boxes for non food items such as screws etc in the garage and shed - so really there shouldn't be a need to throw them in the rubbish until absolutely worn out or broken.
    I like your gift tags!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, thank you for the ideas in your post.

      Delete
  5. I like your tags. The kids made tags from old Christmas cards when they were young. I should start doing it again.

    ReplyDelete