Tuesday 2 January 2018

A Slow Start to the Year

Well, 2018 got off to a slow and relaxing start and I'm not complaining one bit. I started New Year's day pottering around, putting away Christmas gifts/items bought whilst we were away and just generally doing a little re-organising of the sewing room.  I managed to part with some more Christmas fabrics that I no longer want to keep or use too, which was a bonus.

I did some washing and laundry too, before getting myself ready to face the day. I did forget to have any breakfast though and as a consequence forgot to take my thyroid medication, which wasn't a great start, but I'll just take a little more for the next 3 days to make up for it.

I didn't do a whole lot for the remainder of the day, other than working on my personal finances, so that I could start the year off on a financially sound footing and taking down any old calendars ready to put up new ones.  A very gentle start to the New Year.

I do have lots of aims for this year, but I don't make resolutions any more. I just list the things I would like to have achieved by the end of the year.  It worked for me last year and I managed to achieve most of the items on the list, the ones that mattered most to me anyway.  Here are some of the items on this year's list:

Remain debt free and living within my means.
Declutter 250 items in 2018.
Continue to read at least 1 book per month.
Reduce online spending.
Save at least £150 per month.
Keep following the Flylady.
Take up Swing Dance - there's a class locally that I want to join.
Reduce cholesterol.
Reduce weight.
Redecorate/Improve House.
Save at least £50 per month into a college fund for LB.
Grow more food.
Buy less, want less, live more simply.

There are several more on the list, but some are a little more personal and I don't actually want to publish them in this post, but there's plenty in there to keep me busy, many of which were on the list last year and were accomplished or part-accomplished, and which I want to continue with or expand on this year.

Others may occur to me along the way too, so the list is not exhaustive and is open to amendments.

Today, has been pretty much in the same vein, save for the fact that I emptied the ironing basket and posted off something that I'd sold on eBay. I think I really just needed some down time, not actually doing anything, in order to recuperate from the last six months of working. I'm now starting to feel better and a lot more relaxed and once I've done a bit of cleaning and taken the decorations down, I think I'll feel ready to go back to work.

How did you start the New Year?


1 comment:

  1. I don't like the term "Resolutions" either, and like you use the term "Goals".

    I am sure that you will meet each of your goals this year. Keeping my fingers crossed for you (and me).

    The new year started quietly here as well. Just the way I like it.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete