Wednesday 20 September 2017

Two Lovely Days at Home

I've spent Monday and Tuesday at home this week, pottering around.  It's been bliss and I feel human again. I feel like I've been living in some sort of twilight zone for the past week.  I don't want to have to experience that again.

I had to rely on OH a lot to keep things running smoothly at home.  I was fortunate that he works from home, otherwise we'd have been eating at 9pm every evening, the house would be a tip and no one would have been able to attend a meeting at the school nor make sure LB got home on time in the evening. 

Even so, it did put a strain on family life at times and caused stress over silly little things. I guess I've got my first taste of how difficult it is for families, where both parents work full-time, to keep all the balls in the air. It doesn't take much for them to drop to the ground.

What I really didn't like is that for all of my daughter's 14 years, I've been fortunate enough to be there for her after school and in the holidays, and during this last three months I haven't and it didn't feel good. I know I need to let go and let her be more independent and the job forced me to do that, but at times I felt like I was letting her down.

The only upside to last week, was that I lost 6lb in weight just through sheer busyness and lack of time to snack.  Not an ideal way to do it, but it's nice nevertheless.  I will probably put all or some of it back on now that I'm not working quite so crazy hours.

Anyway, that said, these last two days have been lovely. The first day was mainly taken up with food shopping and cooking us a nice joint of roast beef, that we hadn't had time to cook in the previous week.  That felt satisfying.

The second day, I got down to some blog writing, dealing with my personal finances and also had a nice long walk with the dog before embarking on starting my Flylady Weekly Home Blessing. I only managed to complete downstairs, but it felt so good to restore a bit of order and cleanliness to our home. It's amazing how much dirt and dust gathers in the corners in just a couple of weeks.

I finished my two days off by putting a wash on and catching up with the ironing.  It wasn't too bad as I'd emptied the ironing basket before starting my full week of working, so there were only 3 or 4 loads to iron, which didn't take too long.

Friday is my next day off and I'm going to try to use it to finish off my WHB upstairs and then do some Zone cleaning in Zone 4, the Master Bedroom. I had to consult Flylady Diane's videos to figure out where I was up to in the Flylady stakes, so much have I lost contact with the programme in the last few weeks. There's not a lot to do in the bedroom, just change the bedding and a bit of dusting really.  I may use the opportunity to get out my winter clothing and put away some summer clothing now the weather has turned colder.

I hope you've had a good and productive week this week.


2 comments:

  1. Glad you had time to rest and reflect. No good to be under such stress and the knock on effect on the family x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds as if you enjoyed your days off. Good for you.

    It is so hard to give our children independence especially with what has been going on in the world. My boys are much older than Little Bird and I still have struggles in realizing they are all grown up.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete