Sunday 13 April 2014

Project 52 - Week 15 - Making (Over) a Shopping Holdall

The other week OH was in receipt of some carpet tile samples for a project he's been working on and they were delivered in this bag. 


It's a huge canvas bag, measuring approximately 20" square and is made of a strong canvas, so will safely hold quite a lot of weight.  As he didn't have a use for it, I claimed it, thinking how it would make a great shopping bag.

On my original list for Project 52 was a project to make a couple of new shopping holdalls and I did start to make one, but decided I didn't like the fabric I was using, so I swiftly despatched it to the charity shop.  Since then, I haven't felt particularly enthused by this project, so when I acquired this bag, I thought that perhaps a makeover of it could take the place of the original project for the purposes of this challenge.

As you can see from the photograph, the bag had the company's logo printed across it on both sides and I didn't really fancy being a walking advertisement, so I decided to cover the logo with a strip of fabric. 

 

This was applied on both sides of the bag using Bondaweb and I then stitched it in place using embroidery thread and a running stitch to secure it and add a bit of extra embellishment, although it's not easy to see. 



It gives it a slightly more individual look and I don't mind using it now.   In addition, this turned out to be another zero waste project.  My favourite kind.

Joining in with Dreamer at Living a Slow and Simple Life in trying to complete an outstanding task each week for a year.

5 comments:

  1. Looks fab, am loving the fabric choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Waste not, want not I guess. I'm sure it will come in handy for the weekly shop.

      Delete
  2. Much nicer than the advertising logo x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great. I hate advertising logos on things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fab scrappy project, looks good.

    ReplyDelete